Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Amazed, Humbled, and So Richly Blessed

I made the decision to come to Uganda almost 1 year ago. I never expected to see and experience what I have seen, smelled and felt. The Holy Spirit is engulfing my mind and heart each and every day. I am not sure that I can adequately express what all has happened; but I would like to tell you about some of the changes that God is laying on my heart. When we first arrived at the mission compound, we were greeted by Joy, it was a blessing to not only see her, but to be with her here in Uganda. It has been a long journey getting here, not counting the seemingly endless plane ride. We got situated in our rooms and then we met for the first time as a full team; we met up with our 4 new German friends in Amsterdam. We were blessed with little notebooks with our names on them with a special, individualized note inside from Joy. What an amazing woman of God, she inspires me to step out on faith, because once you do that the rest is entirely up to God.


The blessing that I have received from coming here have been innumerable. I know that when I return home on Saturday afternoon that I will not be the same person that I was the day I left to come here. I have been amazed by how the Holy Spirit has filled each of the team members, in very special and very individualistic way. This filling is coming on a daily basis and sometimes an hourly or minute by minute basis. We have played games with some of the most precious children that I have ever seen. The joy that they have comes out of them in every thing that they do. The times that we have gone from hut to hut have been some of the most special times for us. We have been able to immediately reach out and engage them in conversation and they hang on every word we say. The kindness that I have seen has been such a blessing, and at times a struggle.


I woke up Sunday with the phrase "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." I thoroughly believe that this has become my theme for this trip; it has been said everyday by someone, somehow. I have seen worship in a whole new light, and I have experienced prayer in a way that I have never felt before. I have been deeply convicted about many things and in many aspects as to how I live my life. My most consistent prayer is that I must rely on the Holy Spirit to help me take home the changes He is making in my life. I want to make these changes not for myself, but for the glory of God in my actions, thoughts, and attitude. I have learned to look at people differently and be more focused on their eternal well-being than their physical, which is astonishing, considering the living environment here. In the preparations for this trip, I was able to see God provide in amazing ways. Having stepped out on faith, God has showed me that all that was just the beginning. He has provided in so many ways. My first thought is to be amazed at how He has provided in the most basic sense. But the fact is that He has provided in ways that only He can provide, He has left no room for anyone to deny that He has fulfilled His promise to be faithful to us. I regret that I have not lived my life with this kind of understanding.



I want to thank everyone who had a part in helping me make this incredible, life changing journey. You may never know all the things that have happened here, but one day in heaven, you will receive your reward for your obedience. Thank you very much and may God pour out his blessings on your life as He has on mine.




In Christ,


Michael Jones




By the way, all of the Blackshear Place team members wanted me to let everyone know that we will all be in the 8:08 service on Sunday, so that means you have no excuse not to join us! :)




1 comment:

  1. I thought being "Greeted by Joy" was just an expression... like people were joyful when they met you.. hahah Just realized Joy was a person!
    Loved this post! Praying for a safe return home
    :-)

    ReplyDelete