Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saying Goodbye

When our mission team left the U.S. to come to Uganda and work for the Lord, they said goodbye to friends and family, with (probably) 100% confidence, that they would see each other again.  When we took this team to the airport 2 days ago, we said "Goodbye, and see you soon," with anticipation that we'll meet again in a few weeks, when all of us who remain here in Uganda, also return to Georgia.  Every day, several times daily, we are bidding someone goodbye, but generally with the expectation that we will see that person again.

 

Yesterday morning, as we were having our team devotional and prayer time, Pastor Moses came with the news that Dickson, one of our 7th grade students had died in a local hospital from malaria.  As I write this, my tears-which at times I can hold back- fill my eyes.  Even talking about malaria for me is very difficult, since I can only think of it as the disease that took Richard's life.  And yes, I still ask God, "Why?"  Just as we did as we sat around the table, and questions began to form about this young man, who was about to take his final exams to enter high school. 

 

As many children in Africa, Dickson did not have an easy life.  His parents had both died; he lived with his grandmother, who had been very ill recently, then a few weeks ago, she also died.  Pastor Moses had considered having Dickson come and live with him so he would have a safe and stable home.  When Dickson became ill, he was taken to a clinic, tested for malaria and received treatment.  He improved and returned to school, but then began to get sick again.  He was taken to the hospital and started on a different medicine, but he did not respond.   He had trusted Jesus as His Savior, so we know he is now safe at home in heaven.  He will never again be hungry or sick; he will not sleep on the cold mud floor with rags around him.  He will not wonder who is going to take care of him.  He is in his eternal dwelling – and I hope that he and Richard have met again! 

 

During our prayer time, Pastor Moses read from Job chapter 14, which says:

 

"He comes forth like a flower and fades away; he flees like a shadow and does not continue (v. 2) "Since his days are determined, the number of his months is with You; You have appointed his limits, so that he cannot pass." (v. 5).

 

We all say goodbye many times in a day, expecting to see our family member or friend or co-worker once again.   But there will come a time, when that goodbye will be final for this earthly walk.  Only if you have trusted Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord, will your goodbye be just "See you later."  This is the way I am comforted when I think about Richard.  We are separated from now on this earth, but he is in heaven, waiting for the time when I will say my final goodbye to this earth, and join him and Jesus in our heavenly home.

 

I want my time here to count, to make a difference.  That is why I am here in Uganda, even though the journey is painful.  I don't want to waste any more time, since I know that our time here is fleeting, and we all, like flowers, will quickly fade. 

 

Dr. Brenda

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment