Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Women of the Congo

During our work in the Congo, we met with about 300 women, most of whom were widows and victims of violence during the numerous Congolese wars.  In various parts of the country, there continues to be rebel forces, who attack and rape women, steal, and murder.  I met with one woman, named Mujuni, from the village of Walikale – this is considered one of the most dangerous areas of the Congo, where rebel forces continue to attack.  She is a widow with 5 children, and had been raped in August.  The attack was so vicious that she required surgery and had traveled to Goma, a larger town, for treatment.  She was at the meeting and talked with me – it was difficult to know what to say.  I encouraged her, and helped her some financially  but these measures seemed very inadequate to address her suffering. We prayed together, and I asked God to comfort her, and let her feel His love – I know that He is a great God who knows the number of her tears.

 

Although there is no way to compare sufferings, I could not help but think of my grief with the loss of Richard in my life.  But I am comforted with the knowledge that he is safe in the arms of Jesus.  I tried to share this comfort with the women who gathered for any measure of hope for their lives.  I have never been able to fully relate to "widows" until now; now I can speak to them in some small part with empathy, knowing how it feels to suddenly be faced with a future without your husband at your side.  I know that sharing about my loss will be one way that God will use Richard's death to make a difference in this world. 

 

Despite being surrounded by the tragedy and devastation of the Congo, and the tragedy of Richard's death, I can still say with confidence that God is good – all the time, and yes, my Redeemer lives.

Dr. Brenda

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Our prayer was that God would comfort and use you on this trip in particular....and He has. God bless you abundantly as well as those wounded women you ministered to.

    Susan Huguley

    ReplyDelete